Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Baking again :)

Today is my dad's birthday- Happy Birthday Daddy!
After I baked my banana bread, I talked to my dad and asked him what he wanted for his birthday. "Simple" he said, "a fruit bread, you can choose what fruit to put in it". So yesterday (not because I was procrastinating, but because you want it fresh)... ok, maybe a bit of both... I was looking up recipes online for fruit bread and came across one that sounded like something I would never think of, but interesting.

Blueberry Zucchini Bread

Ingredients

  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 1/4 cups white sugar
  • 2 cups shredded zucchini
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 pint fresh blueberries

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease 4 mini-loaf pans.
  2. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar. Fold in the zucchini. Beat in the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Gently fold in the blueberries. Transfer to the prepared mini-loaf pans.
  3. Bake 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted in the center of a loaf comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.

I looked at some of the reviews and changes people had made, so I only used 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup applesauce, and used whole wheat flour for one of the cups. I also made two loaves so they needed to cook for 1 hour 10 min. They smelled amazing! I hope they taste good. It is hard making something that you can't taste-test before giving it as a gift :/

I will go over this evening to deliver the goods, he will have to comment on here to let us know how they tasted.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks delicious! :)

Anonymous said...

yummy : )

Anonymous said...

They were delicious!
This is from the happy dad you received them.