Tuesday, May 13, 2008
We are so small.
Tonight I was invited to go see some stars. I was not sure what I was up for, but was invited by some friends so we were off on an adventure. We pulled into a parking lot and there in front of us was a row of cars and a row of telescopes. I am not talking about the small telescope that some people get for Christmas or whatever, these were BIG, one we even had to use a step ladder to see through the eyepiece. Since we didn't own one of these powerful machines, we just walked down the line talking to the owners and they would let us use them. At first we saw the moon- I know you can see the moon too, but this was very close up, and very cool. I called dad and he came over for a while to check it out too. As it got darker we were able to see more planets. I got to see Saturn, Mercury, Mars, and a star cluster that is thousands of stars together, and far far away from us so it was pretty blurry. It was such a great time talking to the people- I guess most of them belong to some club, but I learned a lot and it was wonderful to see the planets closer. The most amazing was the moon, just because you could see it close up and the mountains and craters on it. Since all the others are further away there was not near the detail. Some of the telescopes were electric so the operators just punched in what they wanted to see, what day it was, and the time and the telescope moved by itself. One of the people I was with brought their camera- stupid me forgot mine- and I will post the pictures when they are past on to me. I had a wonderful night and hope that I get this experience again to feel so small.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
If you are ever in Hawaii, make sure you go up Mauna Kea. It is where some of the biggest telescopes in the world are because it has the worlds best view of the stars. Our tour guide had a 9 inch telescope with the computer component you talk about. Best star gazing I've ever had.
Cool that a bunch of people in KW are grouping together to show off the moon, planets, and stars. Too bad we're too far to join in. Sounds like fun.
Post a Comment